2. List of additional software
Different schools have different preferences with respect to
additional software that is to be installed on their Windows 98
workstations. The list below is the result of our experience with
installing ServerAtSchool on various schools in The Netherlands,
combined with our own favourite tools. This list is not in any
particular order. It also is not exhaustive. Your school's
educational policy may lead to a completely different list.
When installing software from this list, do not forget to create
milestone images at regular intervals, as discussed in chapter V. Managing disk images with ghost for unix.
Also, you should not forget to clean up, see section 11.3 Cleaning up in chapter IV. Workstation setup.
It is evident that we can not give any guarantee on any of the
programs mentioned below. Furthermore, the links provided may prove to
be broken. Most programs have reasonable documentation or speak for
themselves. In short: you are on your own.
- 7-Zip is free unzip/zip software, distributed under the GNU LGPL,
written by Igor Pavlov. Supported formats: ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, LZH,
GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM, 7z and DEB. The tool is easy to use
and can be found at http://www.7-zip.org.
- IrfanView is a general purpose image viewer, written by Irfan
Skiljan. It supports many formats. Tips: You have to choose a
download site. When installing select 'for all users' and select
'only image files'. Irfanview if free for educational use. It can
be found at http://www.irfanview.com.
- [Mozilla Firefox Browser]
- A free and Open Source browser released under the Mozilla Public License,
with better reading facilities. Tips: set the home page to the
school site. Choose a font that matches your schools reading
methods, e.g. 'Arial'. Set the minimum font sizes in a way that is
not too small for the lower grades. Disable 'Allow websites to
install software'. Firefox can be downloaded via http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox.
- [Acrobat Reader]
- A program to read Portable Document Files (PDF). It can be
downloaded from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
- The free and Open Source replacement for Microsoft
Office. An installation guide is available via the project's
home page. Tips: select a font that matches your school's reading
method, e.g. 'Arial'. Set the minimum font size in a way that is
not too small for the lower grades. Set the paths to the server. The
latest version of OOo can be downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org.
- [Windows Media Player]
- Many educational applications require Windows
Media Player. We use version 7.1. Downloadable at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=.
- [Macromedia Flashplayer]
- Many educational applications require Flashplayer. Downloadable via
- [Macromedia Shockwave]
- Many educational applications require Shockwave. Downloadable via
- [Apple QuickTime]
- Many educational applications require QuickTime. Version 6.5.2
(the latest version compatible with Windows 98) is downloadable from
- [Real Alternative]
- Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without
having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player. Downloadable at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm.
- Microsoft's universal graphics driver software for Windows 95/98
and Windows NT PC's. Some software depends on DirectX for it graphics
playback functions. DirectX is required for Real Alternative and
maybe other software too. It can be downloaded via http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/default.htm.
- A free image resizer; a photo resizing program to easily create
web and e-mail friendly versions of your images with reduced file
sizes. PIXresizer can be downloaded via http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm.
- RenameFiles is a free, user-friendly program for renaming multiple
files in a single step, written by Jan Falke. Among the many
features are: renaming in an entire directory including subdirectories,
many string manipulation possibilities, drag and drop, renaming over
Local Area Network (LAN), preview, validating filenames before
renaming and other security measures. It can be downloaded via http://it-falke.com/software/renamefiles/us_description.php
- [Icon Edit]
- Icon Edit is part of Icon Suite, a freeware icon and cursor editor
by Mike Bouffier.
Icon Edit can be found at http://www.bouffler.freeserve.co.uk/icon_edit.htm.
It requires Visual Basic 6 Runtime files. Look for
- MWSnap is a small program for snapping (capturing) images from selected
parts of the screen: the whole desktop, a highlighted window, an active
menu, a control, or a fixed or free rectangular part of the screen. It
handles five popular graphics formats and contains several graphical
tools: a zoom, a ruler, a color picker and a window spy. It can be also
used as a fast picture viewer or converter. MWSnap does not require
installation and does not need any special DLLs, drivers or system files
which can mess up your system. It can be downloaded via http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html.
- [Easy Graphic Converter]
- Converts .BMP, .DIB, .GIF, .JPG, .JPEG, .PNG, .PCX, .PSD,
.TGA, .TIF, .TIFF, .WMF, .EMF. When creating the documentation we
sometimes used Easy Graphic Converter to convert .BMP screen
captures to .PNG. The program can be downloaded from http://www.etrusoft.com/graphic-converter.
- [Programmers Notepad]
- Programmers notepad is a free and open source replacement for
Notepad. Highly customisable, especially for visually
impaired. PNpad is one of the tools used to write the HTML pages
for the users manual. PNpad can be downloaded from http://www.pnotepad.org
- AutoHotkey is a free, open-source utility for Windows. With it,
you can automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse
clicks. We used it to generate the standard parts of the HTML tags. It
can be downloaded via http://www.autohotkey.com.
- MS Windows front-end for Clam Antivirus (http://www.clamav.net). It includes
a scheduler, virus database updates, standalone scanner, context menu,
etc. Downloadable via http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin.
- [UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack]
- Alper Coskun made a Service Pack for Windows98 SE users. It contains
all Windows98 SE updates from Windows Update site and more. This site might
become useful when Microsoft stops their W98SE update service. The service
pack is available for several languages. From the website: "It is a
self-extracting and self-installing pack like Microsoft's update files.
This is *only* for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. It contains only
operating system updates. It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6, DirectX
9, Media Player 9 and their updates." The service pack can be
found at http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html.
- Autoclave is a program for hard drive sterilisation. It runs from a bootable
floppy. From simply zeroing of a hard drive to overwriting the hard drive
with specific patterns which exercises all the bits on the drive, making it
extremely difficult to recover anything at all. Autoclave can be downloaded
- [Ghost for unix]
- G4u ("ghost for unix") by Hubert Feyrer is a NetBSD-based bottable
floppy or CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a
common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy or CD-ROM image can
be downloaded at http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/.
- QRes is a small freeware application, created by Berend Engelbrecht,
that allows you to automatically change color depth and screen resolution
without restarting the the computer. QRes is very useful when
using older educational software that runs on low screen
resolutions. It can be downloaded at http://qres.softwarecave.nl/.
- PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Win32 and Unix
platforms, along with an xterm terminal emulator. It enables you to login
on the ServerAtschool server from any client on the school's LAN. It is
written and maintained primarily by Simon Tatham and can be downloaded via
the project's home page at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/.
- [DAEMON Tools]
- DAEMON Tools a virtual CD-ROM player, enabling you to use CD-ROMS on
computers that have no CD-ROM player. The program can be downloaded at http://www.daemon-tools.cc.
- WinSCP is an open source freeware SFTP client for Windows using SSH.
Its main function is safe encrypted copying of files between a local and a
remote computer. It can be downloaded at http://winscp.net.
- [Foxit Reader]
- Foxit Reader is a free and fast reader for PDF (Portable Document
Format) documents. You can also print PDF documents with it. It doesn't
need any installation, so you can start to run it as soon as you've
downloaded it. The program runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003 and is
free for non-commercial use. You can download Foxit Reader at http://www.foxitsoftware.com.
Authors: Peter Fokker <peter (at) berestijn.nl> and Dirk Schouten <schoutdi (at) knoware.nl>
$Id: additions.html,v 1.8 2006/04/05 10:18:30 peter Exp $